Pioneer Mama.

3:09 PM

As you may recall from a previous post, I am most definitely NOT a hiker. Frankly, there's really nothing about hiking that I enjoy. I mean, sure the views are cool, but I am fortunate enough to appreciate photography, so why go on a million-mile-hike just to see what someone else has already taken a picture of?? :)

Around seven years ago this week, my mom thought it would be "fun" to hike Mt. Timpanogos as a family. After I-don't-even-know-how-many-hours of hiking I was D-O-N-E. I had slept very little the night before (because it had been my cousin Madi's 16th birthday party) and we had gotten up really early to start the hike. Needless to say, after an undisclosed number of miles (I don't remember how many, but even if I did I probably wouldn't tell ;)) I decided that my time would be best spent sleeping by a lake while my family proceeded to hike to the top. (Sidenote: While I was taking this aforementioned nap, I got one of the worst sunburns of my entire life and the next day we had to take our family Christmas Card photo and it was a very humiliating experience for my 15-almost-16 year old self.) My dear mother, however, along with many other members of my family made the entire 14 mile journey and lived to tell the tale. After this semi-traumatic experience, I decided it would be best if i swore off this "recreational activity" forever.

My mom, however, did not.

A few years ago she participated in an impressively rigorous Girl's Camp hike, and then just two weeks ago, she hiked Half Dome in Yosemite National Park.

How many grandmas do you know that have hiked half dome?!

My sister Sarah had the idea to have us kids send my mom a note congratulating her on her survival. This was mine :) 
(It's the same thing, I just zoomed in on the second one so you can see the detail ;))

Needless to say: Mom, I'm impressed!

PS Miriam also hiked Half Dome and I am very impressed with her as well :)
PPS Miriam also hiked Timp (even though she was only like 10) and that was really impressive too.
PPPS In case you were wondering...yes, we took our family Christmas Card Photo in June. HAHA. Yet another reason why my mom is so cool ;)
PPPPS If you're wondering why the title of this post is "Pioneer Mama," it's because I've always said that my mom could have been a pioneer & the fact that she thinks 14-mile-hikes up a mountain are considered "family fun" basically proves my theory.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. go mom! Yeah I was definitely glad I had a legit excuse to not have to hike Temp (I had just had Matthew). And I still have a picture of you and him (in the NICU) with your peely/red skin :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images